Have you noticed? Some people in our surroundings speak less than others and they tend to stay silent. Normally this can be a trait of personality but here we are discussing alogia.
Alogia is a kind of speech disorder that sometimes involves the central nervous system and it can be a manifestation of many psychological disorders.
What Is Alogia?
It is a disorder of speech in which a person speaks less than others and there is no fluency in their speech, even sometimes they remain silent because they cannot convert their thoughts into words. The one who is suffering from alogia tends to speak in short words like if someone has asked them “how your studies are going on?” they would answer in only one word which is “good”. They use short words to answer that’s why this condition is also called “poverty of speech”
What can be the Causes of Alogia?
1. It can be the Result of Any Psychotic Illness
It is possible that the patient may be suffering from any psychotic illness in which voices in his/ her head are telling him/ her not to speak. Patients of some psychotic illnesses experience delusions and hallucinations. Maybe the patient is not speaking because in his hallucinations he is seeing someone who is telling him not to talk.
2. Problems Related To Central Nervous System
The disorders of the central nervous system like dementia and those that are affecting the long-term memory of a person have proven a major cause of alogia. In dementia and long-term memory loss, the patient is unable to find words to speak and that’s why fails to speak properly and speaks in short words.
There are many diseases of the central nervous system that are affecting the long-term memory of the patient and causing dementia for example Alzheimer’s disease. In Alzheimer’s disease, the patient tends to lose his/ her memory at a gradual pace which may cause alogia.
3. Secondary Manifestation of Any Disease
Alogia can occur in patients with schizophrenia. In schizophrenia, alogia appears as a negative symptom (negative symptom’s manifestations include withdrawing from the social environment, lack of apathy, lack of empathy, and difficulty in speech) of the disease.
If alogia is present in the patient with schizophrenia, it will be corrected once we treat schizophrenia.
4. Loss of Connections between Different Parts of the Brain
Alogia can also happen without underlying psychotic illness. One of the reasons can be the loss of connections between the different parts of the brain. For example, if there is a loss of connection between the speaking center and the thought-processing center of the brain then the patient will be unable to convert his/ her thoughts into words and he/ she will face difficulty in expressing himself/ herself.
Symptoms of Alogia
Here we will discuss some of the symptoms of alogia.
1. The patient will be unable to answer any question spontaneously and sometimes he/ she may fail to answer
2. They will speak some words which have no meanings and that will make no sense
3. Slurred speech is a prominent sign of the patients of this disease.
4. The patient will give short and one-word answers and they can’t keep up the conversation
5. They will lack the ability to respond (answer) immediately to any question
6. The patient will feel exhausted while speaking
7. They will take small breaks while they are taking
8. Lack of expressions or having dull expressions while speaking
9. The patients will lack the ability to pronounciate the words correctly or to pronounciate the ends of the words (consonants)
10. The pitch of the patients is very low.
11. They take a longer time to respond as compared to a normal human being because they are unable to convert their thoughts into words or because of dementia; they are unable to find the words to speak.
How Can We Treat Alogia?
It is a serious speech disorder but the good news is it can be treated. But to treat alogia, we need to find out what is its underlying cause whether it is a manifestation of any primary disease or it has occurred because of some secondary disorder.
Here are some ways to treat alogia
Second-generation antipsychotics and antidepressants can prove best to treat this disease but when it comes to their side effects, one should take care.
Therapies like social skill training and speech therapy can help the patient to recover from this disease. For that to happen we will first look for the underlying cause and roll out the underlying cause
Note: If you are experiencing any of these above-mentioned symptoms, then do consult your health specialist. Do not take any of the medications and any of the other therapies by yourself. Get yourself checked by the doctor and follow the regimen that the doctor will provide you.